Our Pearls of the Sea learning programme is now in its second year and was developed as a continuation of Start, our original schools project which was funded for the first three years of the gallery’s life by The Prince's Foundation for Children & the Arts.
Pearls of the Sea builds upon existing relationships with local schools, and creates new ones. Key achievements of the project are to:
* Enable young people to access Jerwood Gallery, raising aspirations, supporting learning and creative development
* Create access to quality arts and cultural experiences for children and young people in Hastings
* Develop confidence, skills and strategies for teachers and schools to interact with Jerwood Gallery
* Engage parents and the wider community, introducing them to Jerwood Gallery and its value as a cultural resource in our community
Formal education outcomes of the project include an increase in literacy, vocabulary, and understanding of the world around them. Teachers who were involved have reported significant improvements in young people’s communication and group work skills.
Pearls of the Sea has been designed to support teacher development too. Our learning programme:
* Equips teachers with the skills they need to have a successful trip to a gallery
* Encourages teachers to explore different teaching methods through Continual Professional Development workshops
* Enables teachers to build a network with other schools and teachers through special networking events at the gallery
We are grateful to the Magdalen and Lasher Charity, the Lacy Tate Trust, the Friends of Jerwood Gallery and private benefactors for their support of the gallery’s desire to continue to offer a dedicated learning programme.
If you would like to join in, or have more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or ring 01424425809.